In homes, schools, or businesses, ants are not picky when it comes to infesting structures. A vast majority of people have encountered ant infestations at one time or another and understand the difficulty of stopping an ant infestation once it has started.
A few simple steps can be taken to help prevent an ant infestation in your Colorado Springs home.
Follow these 6 tips to prevent an ant infestation in your home:
- Recognize areas prone to ant activity. Of ant infestations in homes, 96% involved activity in the kitchen, and 89% found activity in the bathroom(s). Other areas of common activity inside the home include bedrooms, living rooms, wall voids, and in or around air conditioning/heating units. Areas most prone to activity provide food and water sources which ants (and other pests) need to survive.
- Eliminate water sources in and around the home. Standing water, leaking pipes, and even pet dishes can be attractive to ants. Inspect both the interior and exterior of your home on a regular basis to seek out water sources that may be an issue. Crawlspaces and attics without proper ventilation can also lead to pest problems as they retain moisture.
- Eliminate food sources. Wipe down counters and appliances immediately after use. Do not leave dishes with food particles sitting out. Check fruits for any pieces that may be overly ripe. Clean up spills promptly. Store foods in air-tight/pest-proof containers. Keep tight-fitting lids on all trash cans and remove trash from the home regularly.
- Keep pets in mind. One consideration that is often overlooked during pest infestations is the food and water source provided by having pets in the home. Make sure that spilled water is cleaned up and that leftover food is removed. This is especially important when managing an active infestation.
- Exclusion is of the utmost importance! Check for gaps, cracks, crevices, poor weather stripping and/or door sweeps, torn window screens, and improperly sealed utility penetrations. Make sure that tree limbs and other vegetation do not touch the house providing easy access for ants to enter at levels above the ground.
- If you find ant activity in your home, contact a pest professional. They have the knowledge, training, and proper equipment to handle an infestation.
Dealing with an ant infestation in Colorado Springs? Let’s connect, request a quote today.