Cockroach infestations can be an unpleasant experience for even the bravest of souls. Not only do they cause many people to be squeamish simply based on their appearance, but they also pose serious health risks in our homes, schools, hospitals, places of work, and many other buildings. Cockroaches are notorious for being a trigger for asthma and allergies, especially in children and the elderly. In addition, they are known carriers of several diseases and pathogens.
Cockroaches for the most part tend to live in damp areas such as sewers, drains, pipes, kitchens, and bathrooms. They easily pick up and transfer germs as they crawl across sewage, decaying matter, garbage, and many other types of filth. Cockroaches are known carriers of 33 types of bacteria including E.coli and Salmonella. This does not include the 6 known parasitic worms or 7 types of human pathogens.
Thankfully, there are preventative measures that can be taken to keep cockroaches out of your home.
- Be aware of items you are bringing into your home. Inspect the packaging for damage that might allow pest entry. Immediately empty large boxes or cartons used to carry items into the home from the store and dispose of the boxes outside the home.
- Sanitation is of the utmost importance in keeping cockroaches at bay. Keeping your home clean will go a long way to allowing a cockroach infestation to thrive.
- Keep kitchens and bathrooms clean of crumbs and other debris. Consistently wipe down counters, sweep and mop floors and immediately clean up any spills that may occur.
- Repair leaking pipes and reduce moisture.
- Vacuum frequently and take the trash out nightly.
- Keep pet food sealed in a sturdy container and washbowls frequently. Do not leave pets’ food and water available overnight.
- Store pantry items in sturdy sealed containers.
In the event that you believe you may have evidence of cockroach activity in your home, contact a licensed pest control professional for assistance. Here, at Mug-A-Bug, we specialize in cockroach pest control to keep your home cockroach-and-disease free. Contact us today to get rid of any cockroaches you have seen in or around your Colorado Springs home.